University and RUSU announce annual £1 million Capital Fund to improve student experience08 December 2017
A new annual £1 million Capital Fund has been set up to improve the student experience for Reading students.
The University and Reading University Students’ Union (RUSU) have announced a joint initiative which, each year, will see £1 million donated by the University go towards funding projects that will improve student facilities on campus
The projects supported by the RUSU £1 million Capital Fund will be chosen by the full-time RUSU Student Officers, who will consider ideas submitted to RUSU’s ‘Change It!’, suggestions from student/staff liaison committees and direct feedback from students.
The first six projects to be supported were announced by the Vice-Chancellor and RUSU officers over a series of six videos, released one per day during the last week. They include:
- Extension of ‘The Study’ – as well as increasing the overall size, ‘The Study’ will be completely refurbished to create an open plan, flexible environment for group study, rehearsals, prayer and student meetings
- Relaxation zones – creating brand new Relaxation Zones on campus, which will include massage chairs, bean bags, refreshment facilities and even sleeper pods!
- Lockers – lockers will be made available on campus for students who need to securely store their equipment, sports kits, heavy books and more in between lectures on campus
- Personal capture – students have given great feedback on the use of Personal Capture to record teaching material, allowing them to watch or listen to recordings their lecturers have made. Further investment in this technology will enable staff to use this more widely and ensure a larger number of students benefit from this.
- RUSU app – launching the RUSU app, which will include news, events, the ability to buy tickets and vote in opinion polls
- 4G pitch – a new 4G pitch will improve sports facilities for a number of sports clubs, including rugby, football and lacrosse
All of the above projects are in the early stages of planning. The RUSU Student Officers will keep students updated on progress.
Vice-Chancellor of the University of Reading, Sir David Bell, said: “The launch of the RUSU £1 million Capital Fund is a great example of the close partnership between the University and RUSU, as well as tangible evidence of our commitment to improving the student experience.
“We have agreed to invest in six projects – all of which are exciting developments – suggested by RUSU and based directly on student feedback.”
President of RUSU, Tristan Spencer, said:
“The £1 million Capital Fund is a great win for students. This yearly capital commitment by the university, to projects directed and desired by students, will only improve the experience that students have during their time here.”