Education equality, ready meal secrets, and is blackwashing really going on? Reading in the News - 26 Feb26 February 2018
Bridging advantage gap in schools: Times Education Supplement reports on research being done by Dr Carol Fuller (Education) to support a local community with raising aspirations and educational outcomes. The article is published ahead of a Westminster Symposium on educational equality taking place tomorrow. See here for further details.
Troy casting: Dr Rachel Mairs (Classics) is quoted in an article for the Radio Times about the new BBC series Troy: Fall of a City. Following complaints of ‘blackwashing’, Dr Mairs is quoted on how more ethnically diverse casting for classical periods should be welcomed.
Ready meal secrets: An article for BBC Future looking at the “secret tricks” in microwave meals includes quotes from Dr Stephen Elmore (Food).
- Further reports quoting Dr Gunter Kuhnle (Food and Nutritional Sciences) on research showing polyphenols in red wine could be good for dental health, on MSN.com.
- An article for AV interactive on the use of VR to simulate moral dilemmas mentions work by Dr Kathryn Francis (Psychology).
- China Daily reports on young “decision-makers” in industry, and quotes Prof Rodney Jones (English Language).
- UoRM has agreed a new partnership with a Taiwanese University, reports the Star.com.my.
- Prof Jon Gibbins (ICMR) will be riding the British Heart Foundation’s London to Reading bike ride, reports the Reading Chronicle.
- Eastern Daily Press have run an article on archaeological work in Reedham, Norfolk led by Prof Mike Fulford (Archaeology).
- Research into the positive effect of whey protein on cardiovascular disease is reported in USA science news. Read our news story here.
- BBC Berkshire (approx.. 2hr 24 mins in) mentions an event for Christians working in Science taking place on Tuesday 27 Feb on the UoR campus.