Reading in the news - Mon 18 Mar18 March 2019
Migraine supplement: Mail on Sunday quotes Professor Glenn Gibson (Food and Nutritional Science) on a study suggesting gut bacteria could help prevent migraines.
'Pleasure chemical’: The Times quotes Dr Patrick Lewis (Pharmacy) on how dopamine produced by our bodies influences our behaviour.
British farming: Reading Agriculture students spoke to BBC Radio 4 about raising awareness among fellow students about how food is farmed. Read our news story on the 2017 event discussed by the students.
Fog in UAE: Khaleej Times, Emirates News Agency and MSN News report on a project led by Professor Giles Harrison (Meteorology) studying the causes of fog in the United Arab Emirates. Read our news story about Professor Harrison’s research project in the UAE.
Language evolution: Professor Mark Pagel (Biological Sciences) is quoted in articles in Smithsonian Mag and Farming Portal story on how developments in human bites led to us being able to pronounce new sounds.
- Early Years Educator features a study by Dr Maria Danos (IoE) into gender stereotypes and their impact on young people.
- The Argus quotes Professor Michael Ball (Economics) on a bill on tenancy deposits that was heard by MPs last week.
- Yorkshire Evening Post mentions Professor Ed Hawkins’ (Meteorology) Weather Rescue project in a story on common weather phrases. Read our news story.
- Wokingham Paper and Bracknell News report on landscaping work undertaken by Bellway Homes on land in Shinfield, and mentions the joint application with the University to build homes on land there.
- Wokingham Paper also mentions land relinquished by the University to allow a new footpath to be created for residents in Spencers Wood.
- Devon Life reports the news there will be a statue of Lady Nancy Astor, the UK’s first female MP to take her seat in Parliament, following a crowdfunding campaign involving Dr Jacqui Turner (History). Read our news story.
- Third Sector runs a competition with Henley Business School to win a place on Henley’s professional certificate in coaching course.