Reading in the news - Mon 27 Apr27 April 2020
- Dr Simon Clarke (Biological Sciences) spoke to BBC 5 Live, LBC News and TalkRadio; is quoted in the Guardian live blog, Yahoo! News and Stuff NZ about immunity, and Business Standard on winter and respiratory illnesses.
- Professor Parastou Donyai (Pharmacy) is quoted in an article for Reuters following comments by the US President about disinfectant.
- Comments by Professor Ian Jones (Biological Sciences) about China’s response to COVID-19 appear in Rightways.
- The University of Reading’s loan of testing equipment for national testing is covered by The Breeze, and Deputy VC Parveen Yaqoob spoke to BBC Berkshire about it. Read our news story here.
- BBC Berkshire mention advice released to help children manage anxiety caused by COVID-19 and the lockdown.
University impacts: Professor Mark Fellowes, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Academic Planning & Resources, interviewed by Lyse Doucet on BBC World Service’s Newshour programme (from 30mins) about the financial challenges and uncertainty facing UK universities in light of COVID-19.
#LockdownClimateChange: Prof Bill Collins (Met) is quoted in reports about the sky appearing to be bluer, in the Daily Mail and mentioned by BBC World Service.
In addition, comments by PhD researcher Simon Lee (Met) about the falling levels in the Rhine in Germany and the effect that climate change may have caused, in Bloomberg Green.
See the latest expert comment in our #LockdownClimateChange campaign, discussing how we can learn lessons from the COVID-19 lockdown to help us tackle climate change – https://archive.reading.ac.uk/2020/April/pr840463.html
- Daily Mail looks at the growing trend of sourdough baking and quotes Prof Gunter Kuhnle (Food) about the role of fibre in diet.
- Research by Prof Mark Pagel appears in an article about the evolution of language, in BBC Science Focus.
- Digging Up Britain’s Past aired on FIVE and the show visited Silchester to see the bathhouse.
- An article in Farmers Weekly reports on research being conducted about ground beetles.