Reading in the news - Fri 24 Jul24 July 2020
Data breach: BBC News, Times, Telegraph, Mail Online, Yahoo! News, Tech Times, Times of India and others cover news that a cyberattack on a US firm that provides database software for charities and universities including the University of Reading. Further information and a statement from University Secretary Dr Richard Messer is available here.
COVID-19: expert comment on the coronavirus pandemic
- Dr Simon Clarke (Biological Sciences) is quoted in the Metro (and in print) and the Independent about face masks, following the revised laws around their compulsory use.
- Prof Ian Jones (Biological Sciences) is quoted in MedScape about the influence of warmer weather on the spread of Covid-19.
Pharmacy attainment gap: Pharmaceutical Journal report on attainment gap between White and BAME students on MPharm courses at UK universities. A University of Reading spokesperson is quoted about work to reduce the attainment gap.
- Mauritius Times repost an article by Dr Mark Dallas (Pharmacy) for The Conversation on the ten factors linked to increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
- An article for Research Professional (£) about news stories over the past academic year mentions the review into game shooting UoR carried out.
- Estates Gazette report on big topics for the industry, and cites a UoR report about a code for leasing business premises.
- PhD researcher Akshay Deoras (Met) is quoted in the Hindustan Times about weather alerts in Mumbai.
- Meg Cathcart-James, a PhD researcher (Ecology) and project officer for the Cole Museum spoke to BBC Berkshire about building aquatic habitats in a garden.
- BBC Radio Norfolk mentions a story involving mashed potato and the summer of 1976, and includes a note about archive records on instant mashed potato packets held at the UoR Special Collections.