Diversifying Leadership - Leadership Foundation for Higher Education
Tuesday, 30 October 2018
The University is inviting applications for two places on the Diversifying Leadership development programme for 2019. The programme is aimed at early career academics and professional services staff from black and minority ethnic backgrounds, up to and below Associate Professor/ Grade 8, who are about to take their first step into applying for a senior role – or aspire to a leadership role.
Comprising of three one-day workshops, plus a facilitated action learning set day, concepts explored on the programme include leadership theory, cultural identity, and power and influence, as well as individual goal setting and action planning to support participants in applying their learning post-programme.
Participants of the programme will need to identify a sponsor from within their institution, usually someone more senior already working in an influential role, who will support them throughout and beyond the duration of the programme. As well as providing support, the role of a sponsor is critical in working to remove institutional barriers and driving positive change.
Participants must be able to:
- attend all dates of the programme
- Wednesday 6 February 2019 (Orientation Webinar)
- Thursday 21 February 2019 (London)
- Thursday 21 March 2019 (London)
- Thursday 2 May 2019 (London)
- take part in the facilitated action learning set on Thursday 11 April 2019,
- undertake self-directed learning throughout the programme, aligned with developing interests; and where time allows,
- commit to working with a sponsor from within their institution who is senior, influential and committed to developing them; and,
- be prepared to participate in a longitudinal study to measure the impact of the programme over time.
If you are interested, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on Tuesday 4 December 2018:
- a statement (no more than one page of A4 –the template can be found here) which outlines your motivation for applying and how you define yourself as an early career academic, or professional services staff member, including aspirations to take a first step into a leadership role
- details of a named sponsor from their institution who will submit a letter of support. (Details of the role of the sponsor can be found here). If you would like assistance in approaching someone to sponsor you please indicate this in your application, with thoughts on who this might be and why.
You will be notified whether or not you were successful by Friday 14 December 2018.